Monday, November 07, 2005

The word for today, the word that describes my heart today, is longing.

Longing seems healthy to me. It doesn't mean being constantly unhappy, brooding, only wanting what you don't have. You can be perfectly capable of enjoying the moment, of being in the joy of the moment, while holding a certain longing inside you at the same moment. At least I can.

Today I did.

I thoroughly loved hiking in the woods with Polly today. We had an extraordinarily fall-like day, for November in Minnesota. It was so warm, about 60 degrees, that you didn't really even need a jacket. Polly and I ran UP the hills, and on the downhills, I scuffed in the leaves for fun. We "hunted" squirrels to our hearts' content, and we also spent lots of time walking on the paths. It was a wonderful way to spend an hour.

But there is a longing inside of me for my ocean and for several of my dearest people who are not here. A real longing.

I tried to keep my cell phone off for most of the day. It's just too distracting. When I turned it on, there was a voice-mail message from my childhood best friend, Joanne, who was feeling a pull to her old friend. Really great to hear her. She said, "Things are going really well, but I miss my oldest friend."

Sometimes I think that longing makes us appreciate people and places more. It's acute.

6 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger ginab said...

Hello Brina,

I was so touched, personally, by Stuee's message, I fear I spilled my guts.

I take treks with Bea Bea (my boxer) in the woods, like you and Polly. Charlie Baxter is in Minn., no? He used to teach at the University of Michigan and I had him for a couple of classes. I'm not real memorable as I was way too self conscious back then, being a "non traditional 'mature' undergraduate". (I rec'd my BA at age 30.) Anyway, I do use his story "Gryphon", along with "Silver Water" by Amy Bloom, mainly because I enjoy each; but also to use fiction as sample personal narratives (stretch!).

I have an MFA in fiction, write grants full time (yuck), and teach comp part time. I'm enjoying responding to Pete's chapters, and I work when I can on my own fiction.

That Pacific ocean water is cold! But I suppose you know your water in the land of --how many?-- lakes.

Post a picture of Polly. Bea Bea would like to see!

Nice to hear from you.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Bri said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Bri said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Gina,

Stuee was very poignant in what he wrote, yes.

I will put up another Polly photo tomorrow. Promise! (She's on my blog earlier, perhaps September.)

Charlie B. is teaching at the U of M here in Minneapolis, yes. He's one of my favorite people in the world, not to mention an amazing writer and thinker. I'm pleased you had him as a teacher. "Gryphon" is quite a story. I'm sponsoring his short story collection, "A Relative Stranger," in our Book Club discussion in Feb. so I'm reacquainting myself with all of those stories now.

Yes, brrrr about the Pacific waters. I haven't ever been IN them, really, just my feet or hands. I used to swim in the Atlantic Ocean in Maine every summer, and that was very cold too!

Hope to visit your blog more often. Watch this space for Polly!

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Well I feel the pull too! Here is why:

My list of best friends all of whom are friends from almost 20+ years or more minus one friend:

Monica-New York City
Dorie-Houston
Jodi-Washington DC
Charlotte-Denmark
John-just moved from Atlanta to PA
Tara-Dallas
Cinzia - Messina Italy
Misty-New friend in New neighborhood I am just not there yet! (Long drive)
Tracy-one block away but works in management for Delta and is in Atlanta ALL THE TIME! as well as in the air!

How is that for lonely for my best friends from childhood? I can't believe we all still are so close it is amazing! My husband has 13 and they have a huge Christmas Party every year! So my life is one of many travels you could say!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi BallerinaGurl, Our friends from childhood will always be inside us, and lucky for us sometimes they are even our friends in our older years. I love that.

Ken! You got me pegged. Though I would say I'm more of a "hopeful romantic" than a "hopeless" one!

Romanticism can also be about how you see the world, and maybe about taking time to really feel.

I'm glad you are one too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home