Sunday, November 06, 2005

A little Pacifica and San Francisco history for you all:

Pacifica, pictured in my post below, is an historic place, because the explorer Portola discovered San Francisco Bay from Sweeney Ridge in the area that is now Pacifica! On my next visit, I think I am going to make it a point to visit Sweeney Ridge and take some beautiful photos for you all to see.

The history books tell us that:

The first recorded European discovery of the San Francisco Bay was on November 4, 1769 when Spanish explorer Gaspar de PortolĂ , unable to find the port of Monterey, California, moored his ship close to what is now Pacifica. PortolĂ  and an expeditionary crew of 63 men and 200 horses began an overland journey that took them to the summit of the 1200 ft. high Sweeney Ridge, where he sighted the San Francisco Bay. Sweeney Ridge is located in northern San Mateo County, California and is now a part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area where a monument marks the discovery site. The site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NPS-68000022) as No. 394: Site of the Discovery of San Francisco Bay.
(wikipedia)

2 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Hi Brina

It sounds like you love the place very much. The photo depicts the "sleeping on the beach" feel.

How was your Halloween?
Leather girl...
LOL

Dale

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Dale,

I do love it there. I will be living there, or close by, in 2008, if my five-year plan comes to fruition.

Halloween? Um, I just drove my son to his gig, but I did wear the long black hair, which was fun.

After that I studied. What else is new?

giggle

How are things with you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home