Sunday, November 06, 2005

I spent hours in the university library yesterday, quite a bit of that time at the xerox machine. Something crossed my path and it's still on my mind. Don't know if this is one of those things that only strikes ME as fascinating, or what, so I'll share it and you can tell me what you think:

Ok, so I'm xeroxing an article about a psychological measure (test) of pessimism. The article is from the Journal of Counseling and Clinical Psychology Vol. 42, from 1974. The article just before this one completely caught my eye (wish I'd copied it, 'cause I can't stop thinking about it and now I want to read the whole thing). That article was a study of....

LSD flashbacks!

Ok, so am I goofy here, or is that something that just would not be studied these days? in a study that ends up published in a scholarly journal?

The researchers were studying LSD flashbacks, and do you know how they got their subjects (participants) for the study? They used volunteers from a college population. One group of subjects was made up of college students who had used LSD and were experiencing flashbacks; the other group was students who had used LSD and were not experiencing flashbacks.

Can you imagine proposing such a study in 2005? Or recruiting volunteers?

I think I will go back to the library to read that article, once I'm caught up on my coursework for this week.

Huh.

What do you think?

2 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Mary Beth said...

Hi Brina!

I'm really glad to 'meet' you too! :o) I have family in the States, but they're in North Carolina and Maryland. I love visiting them - so much shopping available!

Thank you SO much for giving me the name of the Chopin waltz. I'd heard it was Chopin, but was rather frustrated after going through a ton of midi files online yesterday and not hearing what I wanted to. Now it'll be easier! I've played piano for about 25 years (wow, it hurts to know I've done ANYTHING for 25 years! :o), and I mostly play Celtic stuff (my family has a big Scottish background and is very musical) but I like to throw in some beautiful classical pieces too.

I can't get over that LSD study. I'm sure it wasn't hard to get some overworked, under-partied college students to volunteer for that! It's amazing some of the studies people do. I read a forward someone sent me a couple of weeks ago on the Ignobel Prize awards (i.e. research that would so NOT get the Nobel prize) and one guy had analysed every meal he ate for 35 years - going in AND coming out. Yuck!! Another one forced a locust to watch Star Trek to measure the locust's brainwaves. Some people just seriously have too much time on their hands!

Mary Beth

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Mary Beth, So glad to be of help with the Chopin. It's a very well known and loved piece, and Rachel uses it so well.

I love Scottish and Celtic music. I have traveled up in Nova Scotia (Cape Breton is the best) and loved the fiddle music up there. It stirs something inside me. I have Irish, English, and Welsh ancestry. I'm drawn to that music but don't play much of it on the piano. I have a few books of ballads, Scottish and Irish.

Sounds like you and Rachel could be shopping friends. I'm not that into "things," in fact, moving my stuff out of my ex-husband's house is making a big impact on me, realizing that I accumulated way too much stuff over these decades.

Have a lovely Sunday. I'm studying!

Brina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home