Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Sometimes it takes courage to honestly say what's happening in a relationship.

Tonight I'm doing that with someone who's important to me. It's hard to tell him how I really see things, but there's a release and an inner sense that it's the right thing to do. I'm waiting for it to be time to call him (different time zones are hard!).

For too long in my marriage, I was willing to avoid facing the true state of things. I have learned from that, and now I'm just not able to avoid the truth, even when it hurts. I'm far from perfect, but I did learn a few things from the marriage and divorce.

I'm not sure if I'm writing about a "breaking up" or a "coming together"...impossible to know at this point. But I do know that I'm unwilling to settle for less than the truth in my relationships now.

I have great clarity about what is right for me in this situation. It does hurt to realize that I might "lose" this person, if only temporarily, from speaking the truth to him, but I have to do it.

I think I'll sleep better once we've had this talk. I keep thinking about the phrase "speak the truth in love." I hope I can do it. Theoretically I can, but in the moment, will I lose my resolve and melt when I hear his soft voice on the phone?

6 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Dear Brina

"If you love something, set it free..."

What a beautiful & heartfelt post.

All the best
Dale

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Thanks, Dale. Not sure if I will ever set this one free, but I'm at least looking more honestly at us than I was.

We had such winds today in Minnesota that a construction worker was killed! Something blew over onto him. How awful.

Good night to be inside cozy with the dog, I say!

Hugs,
Brina

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

When I love I love with abandon and with the intent of being grossly submersed.

I have had so many trials in this my second marriage and yet we stand tall and are closer than ever. Just this past weekend we connected again and it was risky. Is every time. But that is life and you know that and I just wanted to share!

I think this post is beautiful! It is hard after divorce! Mine was indeed messy and very very hard to deal with! I wish you only the best and will think of you today!

Molly

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Thanks, Molly. This is a struggle and heartbreak with someone who is not my ex-husband, in case I was vague.

I am sure that you learned from your first marriage and that the second one is much different.

Of course for me it's WAY too soon to consider marrying again. But love? Essential to life.

Hope to come to your chat today during the Attic!!!!

Hugs,
Brina

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Tom Matchett said...

Tough call.

Not easy.

But such is this strange thing called life,eh?!


Tom.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger PTfan said...

I'm sounding in late, but if you didn't call him yet, perhaps write yourself some notes so you can scan them while you talk so you don't forget what to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home