Monday, October 31, 2005

Rattle rattle, rrrrrrrrrr: that's the sound of my 2001 Volkswagen Golf accelerating these days. It's quite embarrassing. Apparently my catalytic converter needs replacing. I got a recall notice in the mail and am waiting for the dealership's service dept. to give me an appointment; they are notoriously busy, but after being on hold forever today, I found out that I can request a service appt. online! So I did. Smart.

Meanwhile, whenever I accelerate (up to about 40 mph), it sounds horrid. I'm embarrassed. It's not so bad if my windows are up and the music on, but in other conditions, I can really hear it. Don't hear it at all when my foot's not on the pedal or if I'm going fast.

My friendly full-service gas station guy, Dave, told me a couple of weeks ago it was just old-car noise. That was when the rattle was quieter. But I don't believe him. I'm quite sure it's a faulty catalytic converter. I listen to "CarTalk" on public radio; I'm a car expert (ha!). Anyway, the VW dealership has to diagnose and replace it for me for free, according to this recall letter.

I'm really not a car geek. I know very little about cars. I am getting myself organized to get a different vehicle this winter. Got the go-ahead from my financial advisor, who even recommended a place for me to start. There's an auto place that sells used but almost new vehicles for a really good price, and she trusts this place. The salespeople are not on commission.

Anyway, we do need a bigger vehicle than this puny Golf. As it stands now, Polly has the backseat of the VW to herself, and I use the trunk for storage. Anytime I have more than two teenagers to drive around, I'm in trouble. And we want a vehicle where Polly can have the far-back to herself and we won't always have white dog hair all over us. Even with various dog-hair barriers in place, it gets everywhere. Also I need something that handles better on snow and ice than the Golf. Even with four new tires last year, I didn't do so well on hills in a couple of the snowstorms.

A.J. is about to start driving (he turns 16 next month), so it has to be something he can handle too.

Believe it or not, this will be my first car purchase. My ex-husband always made the car decisions for us. Boy, that makes me sound like a 1950s wife, I know. Well, I'm learning.

I drove a Jeep while in Vermont this summer and really liked it. What do you think? We're in Minnesota, so we need a good winter vehicle, and we need plenty of space, incl. a dog area, as well as front and side airbags, and good safety ratings. A lot of dog-owners in Vermont drive Suzuki Outbacks. The dogs ride in the far back/hatchback part. Any car geeks care to weigh in here?

6 Comments:

At 3:48 PM, Blogger JoeBoy said...

I drive a Mitsubishi Montero Sport. Not much ice and snow here to judge by, but I really like it. I can even get 2 4x12 speaker cabs and 2 amp heads in the back. I have plenty of room for 5 passengers left over. Jeeps are great too. SUVs and young drivers don't mix too well though. You have to use caution in the turns.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Interesting, joeboy. I saw a Mitsubishi Endeavor that looks kinda like what I have in mind. Is this your first Mitsubishi vehicle? How do you like them?

My son is angling to get my VW Golf when I move up to another vehicle. Hmmm. We shall see.

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger AlianaDrex said...

All I can tell you is that with 5 kids I have a Ford Excursion but My God the gas! I spend a small fortune just getting from point A to point B. Then the paper said that oil companies had record earnings this last quarter...No kidding!
Good luck car shopping!
Ali

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Aliana, Well, I've just got the one kid and sometimes a friend or two or three of his in the car, plus the dog. I am so used to a car, as opposed to a minivan or SUV. It will be an adjustment to drive something bigger.

Found out that the VW place can deal with my problem next Wednesday. He did say that he wants it to get it as soon as possible, then gave me an appt. for the 9th. Hmmm. Well, I'll just rattle along til then, I guess.

Meanwhile I can begin thinking about my next vehicle!

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger JoeBoy said...

It is my first Mitsubishi. I have owned a ton of cars. The more exotic the more trouble. Mine has been great. I don't drive alot. I would rather have a driver.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Storm, You know, there are some things I love about my VW, and it's not a bad idea for me to let my son have it when I get the newer vehicle. I like its verve, vroom...it handles great, it drives fast really well, it's cute, it fits in parking spaces, and I love the interior lights esp. the neon blue dashboard.

But it has some flaws, and it's just not big enough for my needs anymore.

Girls look cute driving VWs, don't you think? what color do you have? a Beetle?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home