Sunday, October 30, 2005

"In My Recurring Dream" by Kenny White

(he's a great songwriter, singer, pianist, you should hear him if you don't already know him: www.kennywhite.net is the place to learn more and to get his CDs.)

in my recurring dream we have a daughter with a boyfriend
with a moustache with a taste for younger women, like our daughter
and he has this little habit when he tries to make a point, points his finger
which if it had not been eaten by a table saw when he was 23
would really help to emphasize his point,
instead we are distracted by the sight of the missing joint and no one hears a word he says... in my recurring dream

in my recurring dream i give a man a 20 dollar bill
'cause he likes smokey robinson and lives on the street, but still
will never confuse the temptations with the miracles
when he walks into the grocery and hears them on the radio
and i'm sad he's on the street, but glad he can feel the thrill
when "tracks of my tears" comes on and then "blueberry hill"so here's my 20 dollar bill...in my recurring dream

in my recurring dream, and this one comes too often
there's a plane filled with people with carry-on coffins
and i don't know all the rules regarding karma, but i suspect that
when the good outweighs the bad, some automatic self-protect should kick in
but here y'got this plane and as it starts to rise
i can see the panic in every pair of eyes and the silent voices calling in slow motion, trapped and falling, falling...
wake up, you sleepy head - get up, get out of bed
cheer up, the sun is overhead

in my recurring dream, i was eleven when it started
i am standing in my backyard, shooting arrows at a target
while inside the house, my mother, now remarried since
last night's untimely death of my dad
she leans over the couch where he's still lying - to kiss him
it's not that we are ghoulish, it's just that we would miss him
so we leave him there a little while longer
and a good thing too, i guess, cause dying's made him stronger
and three days later he gets up to watch the news
and the news is often bad, and the news is often sad and i know a lot of us are happier when we're sad
wake up, you sleepy head - get up, get out of bedcheer up, the sun is straight overhead

in my recurring dream, i am working with my brother
we are drawbridge operators and cannot see each other
when we pull the ropes that raise the road
this cloud above me suddenly explodes
into a million little lullabies that fall into my ears
and steal my attention, but they take away my fear
so when i slip off the rope and fall through the icy waves
i realize it's not jesus, it's music that saves
and the fish swim by me with faces like goats
i sink into the darkness - but still hear all the notes

in my recurring dream, i am saying what i feel like
to anyone i feel like and i don't care what they think of me
to any girl i feel like and i don't care if she'll sleep with me
i like what i feel like and i like who i've come to be
i'm locked into the moment, and i love with all my might
i am giving all i have, and i'm fearless of the night
i am hopeful - yeah, not holdin' on so tight
i am giving up the fight - i am giving up the fight
in my recurring dream

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home