Thursday, October 27, 2005

What are you going to "be" for Halloween?

I'm going as myself, the long straight black-haired version of myself. Black leather, tall black boots, and a certain attitude. See a little glimpse in this photo. It should be fun.


I dressed in the style of Janis Joplin a couple of years in a row, when A.J. was little. Had so much fun layering on the hippie clothes (and there are plenty in my closet) and beads and letting my wavy hair go wild. A.J. didn't seem to mind. It was in the days when I would accompany him on his door-to-door trick-or-treating adventures. Parents in our neighborhood generally would walk their kids on the sidewalks and then stand there while the kids went up to the individual houses for treats. I remember standing on the sidewalk with some dad I didn't know; he sized me up and said "Are you Janis Joplin?"

Loved it.

That was also the year my friend Kevin suggested I carry a bottle of Jack Daniels with me, to be truly Janis'y. But of course I'm WAY too conscientious a parent for that part of the ensemble. And Janis deserves to be remembered as way more than that. I actually think of her as some kind of a princess. In her own way. I really love Janis. I hope it's not irreverent to talk about dressing up as the Pearl. Her voice is so imprinted in my mind's ear, I can hear her as I type this. Isn't that amazing? One woman, one voice, she's been gone for decades, and I can immediately conjure up the sound of her singing?! Powerful!

Listening to Pete T. talking about Mama Cass last night, I was thinking about her beautiful voice and Janis's, as well. They both had such soul and both wildness and tenderness in their singing. It really touched me the other night when a girl A.J.'s age told me she loves Janis Joplin. The kids are growing up listening to a lot of the same music we loved at their age, except that in our cases it was happening right then.


A.J. and I bought a doggie Elvis jumpsuit costume for Polly last night, but it doesn't fit her! Drats. I'm rather hopeless at sewing, so there's no hope of altering it. She's just bigger than I thought.

What are you blogging dog-owners doing for your dog's Halloween? I can see some of those cute pups dressed up...Storm, your little cutie Stormy comes to mind!

7 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Hi Brina

Love the idea for your Halloween costume. There's a touch of the "leather girl" in the photo...
Last year I went out as Uncle Ernie. It was a blast, but I am amazed at how few people around here even know of the rock opera Tommy! Go figure.
(It was through Tommy that I became a die-hard Who fan when I was 12!)
Anyhow, it was so much fun. I had friends of mine not recognise me with my hair tucked under my cap, the 5:00 shadow, tooth blacked out, trench coat & all the trimmings! I might do the same this year, because we've been invited to a party with completely different friends who didn't see the costume.
Our dog only dresses up for the scarecrow festival dog parade...
Everything is going well in the Land of Non!

Love
Dale

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Dale,

You were Uncle Ernie? That's funny!

Congrats on entering the World of Non. I'm so proud of everyone who is trying to kick the smoking habit too. Rachel has a lot of team members, huh?

Last night I wore the black wig in public! I wore it to the movies. It was a hoot.

Heading out for my second walk of the day. See you later!

Brina

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger JoeBoy said...

It is nice you want Janis to be remembered the way she should be. If you noticed PT was stopping comments toward Mama C that he thought were not kind. I love it when he talks about Keith. You can tell he still loves him. Have a great Halloween. I enjoyed reading your blog.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Joeboy,

Thanks for coming to read a bit and thank you for not laughing at my black-haired persona.
I did notice the way Pete spoke of Mama Cass, and of Keith. It moved me.

I just visited your blog for the first time. Nice to "meet" you!

Brina

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Claire Eliza said...

Hey Brina! About the post below, I heart bob dylan so much. To even see his name anywhere makes my heart skip a beat!
I don't know what to be for Halloween (just posted about it) I was going to be Magenta from Rocky Horror, but dunno anymore.
Janis and Mama Cas' voices WERE beautiful weren't they? Wow, i love them aswell!
Ok, peace out love!

- claire -

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi, dear Claire!

You could be a hippie for Halloween!

Or a rock star, as you already are one, in a way (Battle of the Bands, yeah).

My son is playing another gig tonight. I'm SO proud of him I could burst.
And he has friends he loves, and he keeps his grades good. Geez, I'm overflowing here.

Anyway, you can't go wrong.

Do you think I was brave to wear the wig out in public? It was a blast.

Love,
Brina

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Bri said...

I like the bricklayer/brick costume pair!

and the Dylan reference.

He's been in my head all week, or I should say, his songs have been.

Happy Halloween.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home