Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The last verse and chorus of "Mr. Tambourine Man" by Bob Dylan, listen to this:

Take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind
Down the foggy ruins of time,
Far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees.
Out to the windy beach
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand wavin' free,
Silhouetted by the sea,
Circled by the circus sands,
With memory and fate
Driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Hey, Mister Tambourine Man,
play a song for me,
I'm not sleepy and there ain't no place I'm going to.
Hey, Mister Tambourine Man,
play a song for me,
In the jingle, jangle morning I'll come followin' you.


I'm not sure I've ever really heard that verse before. Just found it in Judy Collins' songbook. Isn't it amazing?

4 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Dylan is an awesome songwriter, his son Jacob ain't bad either. One of my fave's is "Sweetheart Like You" from his Infadels album, it's the only song I learned to play and sing on piano.

Thanks for your nice posts on my Blog.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger psychedelic butterfly said...

Hey Brina,
thank you for the comment on my blog! Think these lyrics are really magical, wish I could write stuff like that. Shows what a genius he is. Strange you say about how Jeff Buckley was one of the only musical tastes you and your friend Sue shared, as Bob Dylan is the only musician that me and a one of my best friends (she died just under 2 years ago) both liked out of each others musical tastes!
Thanks again for you comment
Charlotte x

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Wow, Charlotte, that's really interesting about yoru friend. I'm sorry she died. I miss my friend Sue; we were pals since 1978, which I'm guessing is before you were born?!

Sue loved Big Band music, which I like but don't need/crave, and she had quirky tastes in pop music as well. She adored the Kinks but wouldn't have been called a Who fan; she loved that group whose name I always bungle: Barenaked Ladies?! who give me a headache.

We did share Crosby, Stills, and Nash, Jackson Browne, Dylan, Judy, Joni, Joan...and Buckley.

Great to hear from you. Are you in college? I ask because I am, again, at my age, in grad. school, and it's a LOT of work. Just completed my midterm exam for one of the classes. Phew! It's not my best, but it's very good, I think.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Gary, I like his son Jakob's band, too. And he lives here in Minnesota (Jakob, not Mr. Bobby D).

My college piano teacher had taught piano to Bob's brother up in the Iron Range of Minnesota. She told a funny story about being in the hair salon alongside Bob Dylan's mom when "Blowin' in the Wind" came on the radio!

I always wondered if it was a true story.

Have a good day. I'm working too hard with my brain today, classes tonight, so tomorrow will be more of a reward day for me, if I make it through today!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home