Friday, October 14, 2005

Were you wondering why I didn't write about the Springsteen concert? It was Wednesday night of this week. His acoustic tour came to Northrop Auditorium on the U of M campus, and it was sold out. I had two tickets and a friend to go with. And I had a very long day which included three hours in rush hour traffic that afternoon. My workload is huge right now and I'm barely keeping my head up above water, and I'm under serious pressure to get the rest of my "stuff" out of my ex-husband's house by Oct. 31. Lots of stress and not enough hours in the day.

When I got to the restaurant for our pre-concert dinner, I practically broke down in tears. I told my friend Lynn how exhausted I felt and how much work I had to do that night (proofreading work, on a deadline). She looked me right in the eyes and told me that she'd had a crappy day too and was half wondering if we should go to the show or not!

There was a woman eating at the next table who knew Lynn and who was just gushing all over me, when I walked in, about how lucky we were to go to Bruce. I got this brainstorm (checked with Lynn first): I stood up and went over to this woman's table and asked her if she and her friend would like our Springsteen tickets. She was really surprised! I wasn't even trying to sell them. I take concerts as a deduction on my taxes, and I'd already paid for and budgeted these tickets. I didn't feel I needed to sell them (as Lynn said later, "You're not the scalping type!"), so it felt right to just pass them on.

Well, the woman and her friend were really shocked, and almost speechlessly accepted them from us.

I don't know her last name, so I have no way of following up to find out what she thought of the show. But it felt great to have passed on the tickets, and I got home by 7 p.m., got right into my pajamas, lit some candles, dug in with my proofreading work and cuddled the dog and got a very good night's sleep.

And that's why I didn't write a review of the show!

Do you think I'm daft to have given up my Bruce tickets? or do you like it?

3 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger Gary said...

This will come back to you 10 fold in terms of good Kharma.. Nice.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Bri said...

I think so too. That must have been what they call a random act of kindness. I didn't think it through; it just felt right.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Model citizen said...

I saw Tori Amos at the Northrop...and suffice it to say I will never go to a concert there again. My knees were up to my chin, and I was wedged so close to complete strangers I could smell their breath and body odor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home