Friday, February 24, 2006

My former mother-in-law, Elaine, has died. I've spent a lot of time this week remembering her, and I keep coming back to the way that she gave me space and freedom to develop, without pushing at me. She was really wonderful to me.

Because she always lived in another part of the country from us, we didn't have that much time together. I made a point to call her and to send her mail (in the days of snail mail, real mail!) while A.J. was growing up. We tried to keep her up to date with his changes. She did a good job with that, too, sending him notes and little gifts. They had a special bond.

I feel heartbroken for him that now, all of his grandparents have passed away. It's hard. He and his dad will fly down for the funeral and to gather with family there tomorrow. I don't have a place, or a role, there anymore, as I am not literally part of the family anymore. But wow, my heart is there.

And I sent flowers, which seems such a small gesture, but it's something.

I was definitely blessed to have Elaine for a mother-in-law. I'll miss her very much.

3 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Brina,
I'm so sorry for your family. I can see that she meant a lot to you, and your tribute to her is very moving.

Anne-Marie

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Thanks, Anne-Marie.

When I think of her right now, I get really "verklemt," to borrow a Yiddish word. I loved her intelligence and her voice, which I will never forget. I am glad that she accepted me, a non-Jewish daughter-in-law, and that she was my sons' gramma.

Hugs,
Brina

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger grace said...

Hi Brina, sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you. x Grace

 

Post a Comment

<< Home