Monday, December 19, 2005

My Grown-Up Dreams

What did you dream about, when you dreamt about being all grown up and having your own grown-up life?

I have a few snippets of childhood and adolescent dreams still in my head. Some of these are heavily influenced by television and movies!

* I dreamt that I would grow up to be like Mary Tyler Moore, not in the "Dick Van Dyke Show" wife-and-mother incarnation, but as the single Mary Richards in
"The Mary Tyler Moore Show." There were, however, elements of Laura Petrie in my Mary Tyler Moore fantasy, particularly that I would look that cute in leggings and that I'd be a really good dancer. Of course, my current life is darn close to Mary Tyler Moore's TV life. I live in an apartment in the Twin Cities, work, have interesting and funny friends, wear hats which I throw in the air for fun, and I'm spunky and long-legged and funny when I don't mean to be. And my dating life is, um, interesting.

* I dreamt that I would be like Cinderella and dance with the Prince, who would then sweep me off my feet, put me in a carriage, and make me happy forever. Somehow having the first name "Sabrina," which sounded elegant and mysterious, made me more likely to become the Princess. I know it sounds weird, but I did feel special, having such a pretty name. In fact, I told my best friend Joanne that I was a princess from Rumania, when we first met at age seven!

Ahem.

* I dreamt that I would be a wife and mother, do lots of art projects with my kids, like my Nana did with us girls, read a lot of books, learn how to cook, explore the outdoors with the kids, sing to them all the time, bake a lot, and that my kids would laugh a lot. This pretty much all came true, although the cooking skills could use some polishing.

* I dreamt that I would be a sophisticated, elegant, mysterious, and brilliant single woman, and that I would go out to dinner in a big city very late at night with a handsome gentleman who thought I was the most amazing creature ever born. After dinner, we would dance (note that dancing features in most of these dreams), just the two of us, on a balcony high above the city, and there would be jazz music playing, and we would have no cares in the world and nowhere else we had to be. Sometimes in the fantasy we would also go swimming at night in a pool in this very tall building, with a view of the city skyline. I think we would smoke cigarettes too. And after swimming, of course there would be more dancing, swooning, and kissing, and I would melt into his arms. That's the dream that would never end.

Am I a romantic girl, or what?!

Sigh...

* Oh, and there's another one I remember really distinctly: I was going to be a very strong, competent Arctic woman who trained sled dogs! I would live way up north somewhere with a whole bunch of wonderful, smart dogs, and I would have a boyfriend or husband who visited me. I would be very independent, and very happy, and I would wear a lot of parkas, snow boots, layers of clothing, big hats, and no, there's no dancing in this one. Sorry.

Take a look at my dog Polly with her sled dog face and tell me what you think!!!


Ok, I 'fessed up to my girly dreams. What were yours? (girl or boy dreams)

6 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger Model citizen said...

The only dream I can really remember is wanting to be a police officer, or falling in love with someone who had an accent.

I was a pretty simple kid.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Dear Jess,

It seems to me that you may be on your way to the first, and as for the second, well? An accent? hmmm.

I think drama is inherent in all of us. My mom told me that when she was a teenager, she used to dress up as an Eastern European refugee woman, take the bus into the bigger town next to hers, and spend the day pretending she couldn't speak English and just wandering around encountering people. How funny! I have no idea if she did this once, or only in her dreams, or multiple times, but it fits.

Love ya,
Brina

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

Why does it have to be dreams we had when we were young? I'm still dreaming! LOL

One of my dreams when I was a young little girl was to win an Oscar for best screenplay.

I used to think of myself being this famous TV reporter, covering all major events and interviewing celebrities. The second part sort of became true, but the first one will never do, since I'm not that "journalistic" anymore.

Or that I would live in London. Ah, hang on!

LOL!

I like your last one, ROFL!!!

xoxoxo
M

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

My daughter can watch Cinderella 24/7 so all I can answer to is HER dreams! LOL. Thankfully she has blue eyes and her hair is much lighter than mine so she has a better chance of looking like her. I was always told I would fare better as Snow White. We did not have Belle or Jasmine back in the day!

I do have vivid dreams about many many things. I have been very lucky to have dreams where I felt I was told something in a spiritual light that came true. How blessed I feel. Not sure if you believe in that thing or not?

I hope this finds you well...when are you headed out for the Holidays and to our beloved Ocean??

X-Molly

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Dear Molly, Marietta, and Rene,

Love it that you girls posted. I like hearing other people's dreams. Of course I have a zillion dreams as an adult, too, but I was in the mood to remember my younger dreams this week.

Molly, I do believe in those kind of dreams or gifts.
Marietta, you do live in London, you lucky girl!
Rene, did you dream of falling in love with a man of many talents? ahem...

big hugs, all,
Brina

P.S. Molly, I leave for Monterey on the 27th, two days after Christmas. I will bring along both my camera and my laptop, and I hope to blog along the way if there really is wireless access in the hotels where I am staying. The ocean is calling me!

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Nabonidus said...

Heh, I actually truthfully imagined
things would be a lot more scientifically advanced by now,for one thing. More space -aged. At one point I wanted to be an astronaut, and things being more space aged fit this fantasy. I thought thing would be more Logan's Run, without the horrible death game. lol
I even had dreams about being an astronaut, being in a capsule in space. But then music happened, and my dreams veered that direction. Thanks for asking. :)
xoxoLisa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home