Monday, November 21, 2005

Wow, my previous two posts look really weird on the page! I don't know why, but I am posting from a different computer than usual, up here in Vancouver. Still, it was funny to see how odd the layout looks.

My aunt and I went to the Picasso exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery today. It was mostly black and white etchings, and the overall impression it left with us was depressing and upsetting. So much of his subject matter was himself as the ruler of his world, with passive women to model for him and serve him, and with the artist himself naked, strong, and to be served. It got to be tiring after seeing so many of his etchings reflect that view. Thankfully, there were also a few paintings (color! yeah! after all those black and whites, the color was so needed) to balance out the relentless black-and-white on display.

Tonight I went for a one-hour tarot card reading with a woman who did my reading 21 months ago. This time I brought a little tape recorder so that I could just experience the reading and not drive myself crazy taking notes. I'll transcribe the tape tomorrow, but in the meantime I have some very positive impressions left from the experience.

The reading in a nutshell: I've come through some big struggles, made huge changes in my life, left behind some things I've chosen to leave behind, sat still to think about the possibilities, set a course (while staying open and flexible to other possibilities which may dovetail with what I'm trying to do). Now I'm moving forward, alone, quite sure of myself and able to withstand the questions and intrusions and challenges from others along the way. That's the gist of it.

I love the symbolism and the power in these readings.

She knew that I was visiting up here, so obviously I'm on a trip, right? But in the immediate future cards, in the card that represents approximately Dec. 21-Jan. 21, she saw another big travel time for me. She asked me if there was a possibility of my taking a trip at that time, alone...

I am, already planned and reserved. I'll be in California after Christmas for a week, solo. She showed me that card and how it reflects that traveling and venturing that I'll be doing alone at that time in the near future. Really cool!

Later in the evening, my cousin came over. He played some of his new composition for us, and then we took a bunch of photos and there were a couple taken of the two of us which were so funny, we laughed so hard we thought we'd die laughing. It felt great; God, I love laughing with family, don't you?

6 Comments:

At 7:34 AM, Blogger JoeBoy said...

I am in envy. I love to go to galleries and take a long close look at art. It is one of my ways to get inspiration to write my music. I always wanted to be a great painter, but I have problems with drawing stick figures.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Hey kbg, you said that just right! After four or five rooms of Picasso as King of the World, it became almost sickening. However, it was moving to see his originals in person, and the film which covered the many years of his life was fascinating and colorful.

I've never read Ayn Rand's books; she's on the to-read-if-I-have-time list for me. Joeboy, you and me both, art inspires us on so many levels.

I love all kinds of galleries and seem to do the most gallery visiting when I'm away from home. However, my teenager and I went to an art gallery in NE Minneapolis recently which really stayed with me. I'm still seeing those works in my head. It didn't hurt that the gallery owner, a painter himself, was a hunk and definitely my type!

giggling

Hey, today I'm processing last night's tarot reading, making a transcript of it, and then for excitement I"m going to hop the little ferry to Granville Island, where I can buy some fresh fruit for the family and do some shopping.

It's a quiet day for me because some of the family went skiing. I can't take the risk of being bumped, jostled, rammed, or falling while I"m still in the process of the dental implants, so I'm staying closer to home.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Nabonidus said...

Hi Brina,
I just read what you wrote at Rachels... That sucks that you are going to miss the show! They'll re-run it, right? I need to try and figure out what time it's on in pst, or I'll miss it myself! I'm glad You'll be with us in spirit, anyway.
But on the another subject, the icicle necklace sounds pretty, I wouldn't mind seeing a photo with it.I'm curious about it.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Dear Brina

Hey, we're only a hop, skip, jump & almost a splash away from each other!

By the way, it's Rachel's last "In The Attic" tomorrow.
She has another show on Dec 4th.
It's more like an American Thanksgiving sort of show!
LOL

Hope you're having fun in Vancouver.

Love
Dale

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Oh, Dale, I forgot, you're in B.C.? Tomorrow we might drive to see where a lot of eagles gather, outside of the city.

Then I fly home on Thanksgiving afternoon.

Great to hear from you, too, nabonidus. I will try to post a photo of me in the necklace on Thursday night when I get home.Tonight my little cousin asked me to wear a big beaded necklace she has in her toybox, on top of my new necklace! It was funny.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger JoeBoy said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your fsmily.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home