Saturday, November 19, 2005

Beautiful

Here in Vancouver, we ventured into a funky old building called the Ironworks down in Gastown tonight for jazz. The neighborhood was cloaked in heavy fog, making it feel like an old movie set. The buildings are very old and there is construction going on. There are homeless people living in this part of town and many shelters and services for them, and then there is this jazz club. It literally is an old ironworks building. Great sound in there, and the musicians were daring and didn't play it safe musically at all.

The singer was Jeanette Lindstrom from Sweden, a jazz songstress and composer with a gorgeous clear voice and a variety of styles. She loves to scat sing, but she also did a Swedish hymn for us. Almost all of her songs were originals. Her lyrics are unusual, perhaps because English is not her language but she was singing them to us in English. She will write a whole song around a line: "My hands know how you feel"..."The world goes with me as I go"...phrases which we would not really say in English. Interesting.

Her only cover song was a song by Horace Silver called "Peace." I can still hear it in my mind's ear.

What did you do tonight? Was it foggy where you are?


6 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger PTfan said...

Nothing to write home about (or write Brina about) last night. Just catching up on some normal life stuff.

Did you ever heart that line from Soundgarden's song called Outshined? "I'm looking California but feeling Minnesota oh yeah"

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

Hi Brina,

I hope you're having fun in Vancouver. Or as my Vancouvian (??!!)flatmate calls it Vancouver, British Columbia. She has to say the whole thing, haha.

Did you know it's the fifth best place in the world to live? My friend tells me it's beautiful.

Lots of love,
xoxoxo
M

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

Hey Brina! Just checking in to see how your trip is going...I have not read your posts yet so off to do that now! Just thinking of you!

Take it easy and please join in the Chat party for the finale on Wed. I am trying to get everyone there!

Take care and be safe.
Molly

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger Fleur de Bee said...

ok NOT foggy here but very cold. My condo is two levels...3rd and 4th of a building so I cannot relate to the TALL building BUT I don't have anyone above me so that is a relief! OK on to your next post.......

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Hey girls,

Great that you posted!

Marietta, where are the other four places?!

Van. is a foggy wonderland right now.

Good night!

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger Tom Matchett said...

No fog here. Its very bright.

On the subject of Swedish singers, song-writers and strange lyrics...maybe if she didn't intend the lyrics then she should do what Benny Anderson and Bjorn Ulveaus did in ABBA...they used a rhyming dictionary...and apparently, so does Tim Rice.

Tom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home