Wednesday, October 18, 2006


Here's a photo of my dad. He was a character, larger than life. I loved him.



I was blogging today with someone who wants to quit smoking. And it hit me, hard, that I lost both my parents when they were only 65, and they both smoked for most of their lives. Mom did give up cigarettes in her later years (yeah!) but I always have assumed that her breast cancer was related to the many years of heavy smoking. Dad gave up alcohol in 1978 and used to say, "I can't give up everything!" and meant it. Giving up smoking seemed impossible to him. And he died of lung cancer.

I feel them with me every day, but it sure would be nice if they were here on earth. They would be so interested in what I'm doing with my life now.

Every time I see someone I care about with a cigarette, I want to scream. In fact, I don't even hold my tongue about it. I just tell them what I'm feeling.

I'm not at the point of saying this to complete strangers, but someone I know? You bet! Stop smoking. Please.

2 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger CathFria said...

Brina,
I am sorry about loosing both of your parents. I know I am fortunate to still have both of mine at 81 and 78. I call them most everyday and go see them most every week. Thank you for sharing your story. I am ecouraged to keep up my efforts to stay in contect with them(sometimes I get lazy, but I tell myself I'm busy)
So thank you again.
Cath :-)

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Cath,

Yes, you are fortunate. They are still here for you. My parents are here in a different way (spiritual, and memories galore) and of course I act and look like them, a lot, so they're with me in that way.

I am glad that Rachel told us about wanting to try to quit smoking again.

Thanks for coming to my blog. I tried to post two photos of Mom this morning but blogspot kept crashing. I'll try again. She was a rare person and wonderful.

Hugs,
Brina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home