Monday, September 25, 2006


September 19, 1929, my paternal grandparents, Margaret and Tom, on their wedding day. I never knew my grandfather on this side, as he died before I was born. I have been thinking about him today. He's the only grandparent I didn't know in time and in the flesh.

My friend Pam and I went to see Rosanne Cash and her trio play live last night. Her way of transforming her grief into images and music was really moving, and the songs took you to so many places. She told us of the first Cash relative to come to America (in the 17th century), and there were video and still images to go with the story-telling and songs. The spirits and passions of her ancestors are in her music. A really strong statement that made me come home and look at the faces of my family photos and portraits, including this one.

Speaking of family, Rosanne Cash's guitarist and producer, John Leventhal (one of the best guitarists I've ever heard live), is also her husband. They seemed to bring out the best in each other. Inspiring.

I have much hope today, about partnerships, marriages, and love conquering the bumps in the road. We all have challenges, but we have love. It is a bumpy ride but much better than sitting on the sidelines. Don't you agree?

1 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Interesting, Mr. kbg! Though I admit I can't tell if you are now married to the girl you treasure. Whatever you've structured, it sounds like you learned a lot.

I'm learning too.

Every day!

Brina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home