Sunday, October 01, 2006


Let partners come and go

One major obstacle in living a life of love is the tendency to hold on. We grasp and cling to each other, preventing the freedom of love from rising on its own. Zen asks us to let go.

When someone comes into your life, let him come.
Welcome the person, whoever he is.
Enjoy what it is he brings, even if it's only for a short time.
When it is time for a person to go away, let him go.
Do not turn the person's leaving into an experience of rejection, loss or abandonment.
Realize that his leaving has nothing to do with you.
It is simply time for him to go.

Do this with yourself as well.
Let yourself come and go freely in life, and don't get caught in unnecessary chains.
The more you free yourself and others, the more easily you fall in love.

* * *

Comments? What do you feel about this piece of zen advice? I'm sorry I don't know its original source; I found it on someone else's blog tonight and it spoke to me.

I am suffering a breakup. It seems that this has been happening on and off for a while, but I finally woke up and really admitted it today. Hard, hard pain. I feel untethered and like this photo of the open sky (a Monterey sky). I liked being grounded and knowing who (and "whose") I am. It's something of a challenge to find my ground when I am solo. I will learn to do this.

3 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Thank you, kbg, oh wise one. (You are!)

I am ok. I turned a corner and realized that I must keep my own health, sanity, and safety uppermost, not the relationship.

I have a tendency to preserve, sometimes I preserve that which is not worth the effort to preserve, hoping to improve it, to mend it, to heal it. I am not Super Woman. I am not God. I am just a woman who loves very deeply.

I am learning. And then, when I reached my decision, I heard his voice on the phone, and of course my heart opened wide.

Sigh.

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger grace said...

Hi Brina, I agree that it is healthy to let go of people or things and not hold on. We think to much in the past sometimes, I do it, and I am trying to follow that zen advice. Not always easy. I like the brown hair on you. Hope all is well with you and Polly

xxGrace

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Nabonidus said...

I understand your words, Brina.
It's not so easy to let go, even when
you really have to. When all signs point to it. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home