Sunday, April 30, 2006


At the end of the hot/cool jazz night...I think we look a bit dizzy (I'm not accustomed to drinking, ya know) but happy.

We heard Dr. Lonnie Smith, master of the Hammond B3 organ, and his tasty jazz trio at Pearl's in the city...North Beach, right across from City Lights, the bookstore of Kerouac fame.

Really dug Dr. Lonnie, who makes that organ sing and wail and whisper, and he scat-sings, and sort of conducts the drummer with one hand, and his guitarist was out of this world, made you think of Wes Montgomery, and oh so elegant in a suit. They head to New Orleans next, and they're in Europe this summer, and back in Calif. for both the Monterey and San Francisco Jazz Festivals this fall. If you are ever near a place where Lonnie Smith is playing, please go. Unforgettable!

We crossed over to City Lights, which stays open til midnight, and perused poetry and Kerouac books. Found that there's now a collection of his letters out which includes the summer when he met and stayed with our dad in NYC (July '62). We were so excited to read that. I got myself a paperback copy of my fav. Kerouac book: "Visions of Gerard", a thin but deeply meaningful book for me. We had the hardcover version (with orange and black design) on our coffee table when I was a teenager, and I loved this book so much. It's "about" two brothers, one of whom is dying. How ironic that later in my life I lived this (as the mother).

We had our photo taken upon our arrival back home. I wish you could see my sparkly heels. Very princess'y!

1 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger grace said...

Hi Brina, Glad you are enjoying your trip, Am sure the sparkly heels fit in great in SFO!!! A couple of our favourites in North Beach are Rose Pistolas, F'iore D'italia, although the new location is not as authentic as the old one ( it burned down last year), still good food, and Sodini's - a great local spot. Hope you can get back to enjoy...Grace

 

Post a Comment

<< Home