Sunday, March 12, 2006

Minnesota's Number 34, Kirby Puckett, was laid to rest this weekend.

A really moving memorial service for Kirby Puckett tonight. I stayed in and watched it on local tv, live. We're supposed to get a snowstorm tonight and it was simpler to watch the service from home than to brave the weather and roads and crowds to be there in person.

You know, the thing I remember most about Kirby isn't his baseball achievements, though they were awesome. It's his joy and exuberance, and his hug, which I was lucky enough to experience several times over the years. My connection to Kirby came through my then-husband, who was a sportswriter covering the Twins for the paper here for many years. Kirby called him "Sink" and he called our son "Little Sink"! I guess you've really made it if Kirby has a nickname for you. Of course I was "Mrs. Sink," what else would he have called me?!

I knew Kirby from when he was first on the team in 1984 (the year I got married!). He and his teammates were a lot of fun, esp. down in spring training in Florida, and they were always really kind and fun with me. I got ribbed because I used to bring a book or even piano music to study at the ballpark in spring training. Those were long games! One of Kirby's fellow Twins, Mickey Hatcher, used to clown around on the field trying to get my attention when he'd see my nose in a book. Very fun guys.

The last time I saw Kirby personally was at one of the reunion parties for the championship Twins. The time I remember was the 1997 party, but I think I saw him at one in 2001 as well. At the '97 party, it was a few months after our baby Ethan had died, and Kirby expressed his sympathy and gave me an extra-big hug. Both he and Kent Hrbek always struck me as deeply feeling guys, for all their goofy exteriors they are both very soulful men. Kent showed that depth tonight when he spoke at the service. It must have been really hard for him.

I think that the memorial service, as public as it had to be, was able to capture some of Kirby's best qualities and certainly his soul. I was proud of each of the people who spoke, and I thought that the music was very beautiful and just right. My heart goes out to all of those who are grieving Kirby, and I hope we will all remember him with that great joyful smile and almost childlike exuberance that he showed us.

2 Comments:

At 11:35 AM, Blogger Steve H said...

Hey Brina!

Thanks ever so much for your comments on my blog about the song - very nice of you and nice to meet you! Rachel and Pete are great aren't they!

BTW, we caught the Red Carpet show over here in the UK. Is it my imagination or is Ryan Seacrest taking over the world?

SteveH

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Steve,

Yes, Rachel and Pete are very good people. I received my Christmas Special DVD from them today. My mailman was even excited!

I missed the Red Carpet part of the show the other night, but of course there are bits of it shown later on tv. It did seem dull in some respects, but then maybe I'm just not in the mood for it.

I admit, I don't know who Ryan Seacrest is!

Say hi to your Grace from me, it's always been one of my fav. girls' names and having a great-grandmother named Grace, I like it especially much.

Thanks for posting!

Brina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home