Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Philosophy from a cab driver

I have this Iranian cab driver who drives me to and from the airport fairly often. He is very intelligent and quite the philosopher. He has become very expressive with his advice to me, and tonight I was reminded of his words for some reason. I keep meaning to write about him here.

The first time I rode with him, we talked about my divorce. In subsequent rides, he always remembers my story, and starts up right where we left off, after first apologizing to me for "being so truthful with my words." I always reassure him that I want him to be truthful with his words, and then he's off and running. So recently, he spoke to me this way:

about dating a man...

"This man, if he does not treat you perfectly? Discard him!
Discard him! You shall have another! You are young, and very smart and beautiful, and you can have many other gentlemen. If you have one, and he does not treat you right, you must discard him immediately!"

about remarriage (his subject, not mine)...

"Do not remarry! You have done the marriage! (said with much intensity)
All men, they are animals. Even the best man is not capable of being faithful to his woman. Marriage is a trap. No man can do right by his wife. You have had a marriage, now you must not remarry!"

about my teenage son learning to drive...

"Oh, he is sixteen? Then I shall pray that he shall have only a very small car accident!" (later, he explained that many 16-year-old boys get in accidents, so as long as the statistics show that my son probably will have an accident, it must be only a very small one!)

and on and on.

I so love listening to this guy!

3 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Blogger Mary Beth said...

LOL! He's got some sound advice there. Since he's so passionate about it, he must have the life experience to back it up! Do you know if he's married/has kids, etc.?

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Bri said...

I have always wanted to ask him but he gets so into talking about me and my life, I forget! I will, someday, find out. I believe he's married.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Brina,
He sounds like a gem, and a hoot!

Cheers,
AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home