Wednesday, January 18, 2006

My little angel,
Ethan George






More precious was the light in your eyes than all the roses in the world...

September 3, 1996 -
January 19, 1997


Dear Little E,
January is a hard month for me because this is the month when you went back to heaven, nine years ago tomorrow. But it's also a month when I just can't help but look up at the sky, the stars, the moon, the sun, and think of you, and that makes me smile (with tears in my eyes).

My heart is so full and thankful that you were here! You were an amazing boy: feisty, stubborn, happy, loving, sociable, engaging, adorable...people could not resist you! If you had lived to be a bigger boy, I think you would have kept me hopping, for sure, creating your own brand of mischief and always coming up with something new. Living your whole little life in the hospital, you found a way to exert your personality on all the people who worked with you. It was very cute, the way you wrapped each and every one of them around your little finger. You were a charmer, my blond baby!

You were lucky to have A.J. for your big brother. The two of you had a special way of communicating right from the beginning! I wish you had had more time with him on earth. I know he wishes that, too.

I remember you every day, Ethan, so tomorrow isn't unique in that way. You are always with me. Lots of people think about you and love you. Your dad, A.J., your Gramma Elaine, your aunts and uncles: Amy and Mark, Ruth and Adrienne, Carmen and John, family like Beth and Herb, Susan and Joe, Laurie, Kerry, Marcus and Angie, your nurses and doctors, your special friends like Pam, Joanne, Sharon and Bill, all those people will stop whatever they are doing tomorrow to think of you. I will also share your photo with my class at university tomorrow night. I'm proud of you and like to share your cute face with anyone who will look. I will remind them that your life was not a tragedy, but a triumph.

Do you remember what it felt like when I held you, like in this photo? I think that was as close to heaven as I could ever be while still on earth, and if I ever get scared, I will remember that and I'll be ok. You make me a braver person and you have helped me to figure out what my purpose is here.

Love you very much, Ethan. I'm holding you tight right now.

Your mommy

13 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Dear Brina

My thoughts & prayers are with you, your family & Ethan on this day.

Love
Dale (through my tears...)

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger PTfan said...

Well, you have crying partners today. You have Dale and I in tears. Why Brina, did he have to stay in the hospital the entire time? Please forgive me for asking if I shouldn't have.

Love to you.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Thanks, ladies. He was premature and had complications with his lungs which made it impossible for him to grow healthy lung tissue. He had multiple operations and was on the ventilator (rather than being able to breathe on his own) for about half of his little life. It was 138 days, long enough for us to really know him.

Tears are healthy, you know.

Hugs,
Brina

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Mary Beth said...

Aww, Brina, I'm so sorry. He looks in the picture like the little angel you describe. I can't imagine what pain it is to lose a child, but my thoughts are with you today!

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Dale said...

Thinking of you today...

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Thanks. It's been one of those really hard days. I feel physically struck down with grief.
I forget how much of a struggle it is just to live through these anniversary dates. I think I "forget" because to remember the intensity of the grief response would be horrible. So I prepare, and tell myself I'll be fine, but then it comes, and it's horrible.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Elaine said...

You were so lucky to have been given that little angel to hold if only for a brief time. Sympathy and hugs to you.

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Model citizen said...

I can't get over those cheeks! I am so glad he was here to meet you!

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Thanks, Jessica and Elaine, I have to say that the pretty snowfall yesterday did help me a bit. Polly and I were walking in it and she did her "snow angel" (dog version) a few times, making me think of Ethan.


Other than that, it was a horrible hard day and I didn't even make it to class, which is so rare for me.

Yes, he was a cute little boy with an adorable face and those eyes would just draw you in. He "made friends" with all of the doctors, nurses, and other staff and with anyone who had the chance to meet him at Children's. He was quite the charmer. His big brother is that way too!

Love, Brina

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Claire Eliza said...

Oh Brina, this story has also put me in tears.
I'll be thinking of you today.
Much love

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Nabonidus said...

What a beautiful baby! I, too cried when I read this. It's actually a couple of days later, and I hope you are doing ok. I'm so sorry that this happened , Brina. This is the stuff that I don't understand about life and the universe. I like to believe that things happen for a reason, but this is the kind of thing that throws my beliefs into question..
Do something good for yourself right now, to help you through this. Maybe buy yourself a treat, a new pair of comfy pajamas, some little, comforting thing. :) xoxoxoxoLisa

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

Sweet Brina,
I don't need much these days to open the crying gates. Your post is unbearably sad, but so sweet at the same time that made me burst into tears...

All my love and thoughts are with you and AJ.

xoxoxo
M

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Mike S said...

Ethan George.My prayers.Brina keep
looking up and see him twinkle.
The most adorable baby I have
ever laid eyes on.

xxo Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home