Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Challenge: what are our gifts? how can we apply them in everyday life so that they help the people in our lives?

It's really clear to me, with my friend whose son has just died, that I have two big areas of giftedness that are right at the surface to share with her. One is just being with her, and by the mere fact that I am standing, breathing, still alive after losing my son nine years ago, I show her that it IS something she will survive.

The other gift is my music. I might not be so great at articulating my feelings and thoughts aloud, and I certainly am not good at speaking at a memorial service or large gathering, but I can sit at the piano and play music which reaches people's hearts. This, I can do.

I went over to the house and spent a little time there with the family today, and I made my offer, starting with an offer just to play one piano solo if they'd like, and I ran it by them and they did like the idea of the piece: Bill Evans' beautiful "Peace Piece," which I find so contemplative and comforting, I think it would be very helpful to people.

Then, when some more actual planning started, her father asked if I would be available to play the service if they need me to, and I agreed, so I'm sure there will be a role for me to play, and I know I can do this as a way to comfort and help them.

It looks like this was not a suicide, but an accidental death by self-asphyxiation. Still very horrible. Does it change the fact that he's gone? how he died? of course it doesn't, but it does seem to feel different to think that he did not intentionally leave.

1 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger PTfan said...

Isn't it wonderful to know that your beautiful talent that gives you such joy can also reach out to other people and be a gift to them that they will treasure and help them in the deep of their soul where words can not even begin to penetrate?
God bless you Brina.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home