Thursday, January 26, 2006

Party for Barry

On the weekend of February 17th, I'm flying to Rhode Island, a place I've never been, to join others in celebrating the life of Barry Cowsill, who died after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. I've been a Cowsill fan for so many years, they were such a part of my growing up, and in recent years I've been part of the Cowsill fan family (also known as "Hair Heads"). The Hair Heads gather almost every year and members of the Cowsill family join them for music and parties. I've always meant to go to one of those gatherings. Never made it, though.

Even though I only met Barry once in person, I feel that he was part of my extended family. Interesting how that works. And his death makes me want to reach out to that big family. Bob wrote something this week about Newport becoming a giant family that weekend, and I think he's right.

I am so drawn to be there, and I found that I could manage it while taking my work with me that weekend, so I booked the two-day trip. I'm really touched that Bob and the family made the invitation open to the fans. I know we will all be kind and respectful of each other, and I know that Barry's spirit will be there too. There will be two memorial gatherings on the 18th, each with its own special feel. I am looking forward to being there, and I'll finally meet some of my fellow Hair Heads.

It's funny. I'm working on my family genogram assignment for grad. school, and I'm thinking about what "family" means in our lives.

6 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Blogger grace said...

hi brina, been in bit of a fog the past several weeks. just figured out how to respond to a post. duh! anyway, thank you SO MUCH for your kind thoughts for my dog and I. very much heartfelt. I posted a couple of pix today, if you care to look. Grace

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Dear Grace, Wow, you had such a sweet and beautiful dog.

Dogs are our family too, aren't they?

Hugs,
Brina

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Dale said...

Dear Brina

I had forgotten about the Cowsills, but as soon as you mentioned Barry, memories of my early teenage years came flooding back.

I had no idea that he perished in the wake of Katrina. How sad.

Enjoy your weekend, even though it is in memory of a friend who has passed.

I will remember Barry.

Love
Dale

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Claire Eliza said...

I hope you have a nice time there remembering Berry. I hope no one who went through bad times during Hurricane Katrina will be forgotten
- claire -

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger grace said...

Hi Brina, she loved being at the ocean, did not care much for swimming in it. She felt so free walking on the bluffs. She loved any other kind of water though. Well, not the shower! She is a Brittany, you had one aswell?! Awesome friends. so loyal. And she was very sweet. (I love all dogs though). xo Grace

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger JoeBoy said...

Indian Lake. A song I will never forget.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home