Friday, December 09, 2005

My favorite Grampa Marvin photo

I'm eating a Grampa Marvin breakfast this morning: a nice fresh Florida grapefruit, a poached egg, and hot tea (Grampa's would have been coffee).

My Grampa had the easy tenor voice of Bing Crosby, the easy dance steps of Fred Astaire, and the quiet wisdom of an Indian chief. In many ways he was my father figure, and he helped to raise us girls and then years later became my friend as well as my grandfather.

He lived to be 92. He's only in his eighties in this photo, which was taken at Slayton Pond, his favorite place of Vermont wilderness. This is exactly how he looked in the woods. He was a great story-teller but also excelled at being quiet. There are a lot of people who are not comfortable being quiet.

A.J. got to know his great-grandfather very well, because Grampa lived so many years and we made so many trips to Vermont. It's really cool when I see A.J. reflecting some of Grampa Marvin's traits. I imagine that some are in his genes, some are in his early memory, and some are characteristics I've encouraged because I would love for him to show that same kind of quiet warmth to the people in his life. He does. I watch A.J. with his friends and I do see it!

I'm feeling under the weather this morning with a very sore throat, swollen glands, and a slight fever. Trying to adapt my plans for today, and just remembering that I have a lot of the strength that Grampa showed me. I have to finish my two big projects for grad. school, both due Tuesday night, even if I am feeling sick.

4 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Mark T said...

Hi Brina, thanks for your post on my Blog. Hope that you are feeling better soon. It's probably quite cold in Minnesota this time of year, so wrap up warm. I've been to Minneapolis which I think is in Minnesota. My geography of the USA is not that good. Anyway, take care. Mark

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger PTfan said...

What a sweet photo. Sounds liek a sweet man. Thank you for the description.

I hope you feel better. I know it is hard to get the projects done when you are feleing so lousy. You sound determined though, so go for it!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

Grandpa is for me an unknown word, unfortunately. I wish I'd known mine...Your grandpa must have been a very sweet man.

Get well soon: drink lots of liquids, hot tea, chamomile, take vitamin C tablets, take hot baths and wear warm clothes esp. socks!

Good luck with your paperwork too!
xoxoxo
M

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger lryicsgrl said...

i am having same trouble on loop.

boo hoo. at least it is bettr than sunday, when i couldn't even get a soundl

 

Post a Comment

<< Home