Tuesday, December 06, 2005

I keep hearing about holiday stress, and people burdened with to-do lists a mile long...

I don't feel that way at all this year.

True, I have much to do, but I'm really feeling relaxed and happy about it.

Even in my grad. school work, which is heavy right now as we head into the last two weeks of classes, I'm remembering to take time to breathe, relax, let some inspiration hit me.

I have been playing the piano quite a lot. It's not on my to-do list. I play Mozart, or Suzanne Ciani (new-age'y piano composer who lives near my sister in Marin County, she's very talented and her music just speaks to me), or Bach, for maybe a half hour, and then I'm refreshed.

I am working on a song which I began to write in Vancouver. I played some of it for A.J., who really really liked it. That was thrilling for me. "How often do you do that?" he asked me. I said, "Not nearly often enough." He agreed. More time for composing. That's a good plan!

Polly and I took time to play in the snow this morning, even though it's only 2 degrees above zero. She likes to eat the snow, like a baleen whale, she runs in a field of new snow with her mouth open, skimming the top of the snow as she runs, getting just the top layer into her mouth, until she's had enough.

Her other snow game is Snow Angels, which involves throwing herself onto the ground (hard!) and rolling all around until she's made a deep impression in the snow. What we call "Snow Angels" as kids...that's Polly...Snow Dog Angel?

My wonderful friend Pam and I did snow angels together once, didn't we, Pam?

I love that!

Hope you are all finding some relaxation in your December.


7 Comments:

At 10:45 AM, Blogger Model citizen said...

Well, I'm glad you feel relaxed. My entire life has been "do it NOW! do it NOW! I can't wait! It's gotta be done NOW!" and to be honest with you, when I have nothing to do, I feel...weird. I remember my mother being the same way. She ALWAYS had to be busy.

If I think about spending a whole lot of time doing nothing in a quiet atmosphere, it almost makes me nervous. Although, when the kids are with their fathers, I can watch cable all day long alone and it doesn't bother me.

I would love to exchange cards with you, I keep seeing the BRU signs on 694 next to Silver Lake Road. Just tell me when sounds good and we can tweak our schedules. Even if I could just swing by and see you for a few minutes, you could meet my son or daughter. Let me know.

P.S. I can play 'heart and soul' on the piano!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Jessica, We shall definitely "do the Bru" together before Christmas.

Mr. CAB, you have it right. I think you know what you are talking about here! To deny an important part of ourselves is just not healthy. I am so happy to have this dream of a piano here, and soon I will be at the ocean again too.

There's still something missing in my apartment. Do you know what that is? Please advise...

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger PTfan said...

That's great Brina. I felt like you during the holidays a couple years ago. I am stressed now but it is not because of the holidays, it's just life right now. It won't be like this forever. Just a season.

You said your piano is not on your to-do list, but I have recently decided that I do need to put music art and reading on my to-do list or else I never get around to it. it is important for me to do those things just as much as anything else. So. I got that idea, I just haven't put it into motion yet.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger PTfan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Marietta Zervou said...

Hey Brina,

I am still in a daze from Sunday, but today I have time in my hands and I'm reading your blog.
Polly is soooo cute. Snow Angels? she's going to freeze! LOL.

My holiday schedule is...no schedule, just a lot of work a little rest and seeing my friends. Oh! and EATING delicious food!!!

Lots of love,
xoxoxo
M

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Tom Matchett said...

Hi Brina,

Just to let you know that I recorded a demo of 'Smuggler Sid' a couple of days ago (complete with plenty of "avasts", "arggghs" and timber shivering. It also features some mandolin like guitar playing by yours truly.

Once I've found where I put my FTP login, I'll put the MP3 up for download on my blog so that you can have a listen.

Tom.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi ptfan, I hear you, about music/art/reading. In truth, piano is a huge part of my life. Marietta, dear, will you stay in London for the holidays? Tom, I'm anxious to hear your song. Really!

CAB, you answered correctly. Coffee table, Christmas tree, and someone special to share it with...sigh.

Love, Brina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home