Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Why do we?
Why do we try to be so brave and independent?
Why do we say, "I'm doing ok," when we really want someone to help us?
Why, when we fall, do we get ourselves right up again?

Why is it easier for me to help than to be helped?

Giving this whole "I'm doing fine" thing some serious thought since returning from my Vancouver trip. I seem to revel in this independent woman role, and yet it felt really, really good to have my family caring for me and nurturing me while I was there. Even just something like being asked what I'd like for dinner, that was so nice!

I think I need to have more of that in my everyday life here. Of course my teenager nurtures me in his way, but I don't want to put that role onto him.

I am good at "self-care" but I do think I need to ask for more help and more support from people in my life.

A lesson I will have to learn, especially if I'm going to be on my own like this.

First step is to notice it and think a bit about it. I took one other step, set up a therapeutic massage for myself for every week in December. I used to go every other week post-car crash, but I fell off that routine when school started this August. This should help, and it's a general wellness boost, too.

Does anybody else in my blog land have trouble receiving help? I'm really good at giving it.

3 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger Model citizen said...

I have trouble admitting that I cannot do it alone. It makes me sick to my stomach to think of myself as weak in any way. Not sure why this is.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Jess, I hear you.

My mom was very needy, and I do think I'm trying hard to live my life in a different way than that.

However, we all have to be able to lean and to admit our needs. So I'll have to work on this one.

I don't feel sick to the stomach about it, like you. Usually I've felt sort of energized by telling myself I can do it on my own...I have this whole Mary Tyler Moore thing going on in my life right now, woman alone in Minneapolis, that sort of thing?! giggle

"You're gonna make it after all..."

Oh geez, jess, I bet you're too young to know that song/show?!?!?

Love,
Brina

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger JoeBoy said...

I always feel like I am imposing on people. It's part of a guilt thing I have. I was never an open person to others. I have gotten better. I think it is one of the reasons that I have stayed single for a while. I recently was ask out by a girl I have known for a few years. I was flattered.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home