Friday, September 30, 2005

My first grand piano!

I did it! Today I bought myself a baby grand. It's a beautiful new Kawai. It's "petite" for a baby grand, only five feet long, but it will be the right piano for these next three years in Minnesota. It fits my space and needs and my budget, too.

I'm over the moon, just so happy.

Soon as it gets delivered (next Saturday), I will put up a photo for everyone to see. I got the satin ebony finish, so it's black but not the glossy, shiny black finish. The satin finish is more subtle and very beautiful.

The salesman treated me like a concert pianist today. Truly. At one point he referred to me as a professional. That made me feel really good. Well, if I'm a professional, it's about time I had a grand piano. Geez!

I know, when I was a piano teacher I always told people that it's silly to buy a baby grand, because the sound isn't as big and rich as you can get from a good quality studio upright. But you know, I really wanted this grand, and it suits me, and I'm happy.

The resale value will be very good, and the piano store has offered to buy it back from me when I get ready to move to California in 2008, if I want to sell it then.

Thinking of how my dad would love this piano. Mom, too. Oh, she'd be so thrilled! It has a warm, rich tone and is quite mellow, but plenty deep. I can't wait for it to arrive here so that I can really get to know my piano.

(Will I ever want to leave the apartment?! I think no!)

6 Comments:

At 4:13 PM, Blogger Justin Kreutzmann said...

...play on...

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Yes, Justin, it's going to be amazingly wonderful to have my new piano here at last.

However did I go this many years without a grand? Well, life is getting better, that's all I can say!

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Claire Eliza said...

I played piano for, umm, 8 years i believe. but quit this year to persue guitar. i figure i defineitly know enough about piano to write songs and play it, so im spending more time learning about guitar these days.

you havent posted in a while!!

- claire -

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Rene, I am still amused by our different time zones. You go to bed and I'm still wide awake working! You get up for work and I'm in zzzz land (hopefully!).

I sing all the time too. My son tells me my voice is perfectly fine as long as I'm singing quiet lullabies (I'm the queen of lullabies), but otherwise he asks me to stop singing, usually. Oh, and the other night he allowed me to sing Beatles songs in the car, said, "Your voice works for Beatles, too, Mom!"

We get along great, he and I, and I sing whenever I like, regardless of his commentary!

I'm staying up late tonight to do lots of homework for tomorrow night's classes. Grad. school sure is a challenge. I love my blog for the break it gives me from working on school work. (Claire, do you do this, too?!)

Love, Brina

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Hey Claire,

I like it that you posted here! This might sound like an ignorant question, especially coming from a former music teacher, but when you study guitar, are you taking lessons on acoustic or electric? I'm guessing acoustic, but I could be wrong. Do tell more, please.

And do you procrastinate your homework sometimes by coming online and blogging? Or are you very self-disciplined, and only blog when your homework is done? As a current student in graduate school, I admit to using the blog as a relief from the school intensity, sometimes.

I can't wait for my new piano to arrive on Saturday. It really is going to be amazing to have it here.

Hugs,
Brina

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Claire Eliza said...

hey brina,

good question about my guitar lessons!
i bring my acoustic sometimes, but usually play my teachers electric. right now i perfer me acoustic over me electric but of course they have completly different sounds and moods.

i am usually on the computer after homework is finished, but sometimes i need to use the computer FOR homework so it's an excuse to get on and blog/email (wink wink).

can't wait to hear what you say about your piano. how it sounds and what the first time playing feels like...oh! sounds exciting.

much love,
- claire -

 

Post a Comment

<< Home