Saturday, September 08, 2007


I'm trying to share an even larger version of me with Nichelle Nichols. She deserves to be seen! This is one of the most articulate, intelligent, and spiritually inspiring women I've ever heard speak.
She gave a very moving talk to many Star Trek fans that day, and then she posed with us for photos later. She spoke of her meeting with Martin Luther King, back in the days when she was on "Star Trek." She had been thinking of leaving the show, because she wasn't feeling enough character development in her role and because they hadn't offered her a contract yet. She mentioned this to the Rev. King, who said to her, "You must stay! Do you see what Gene Roddenberry is trying to achieve here? Do you see that you are demonstrating on screen what I am preaching about?" Remember, back then for a black woman and white man to have an on-screen kiss was...unheard of...and she and Captain Kirk were leading up to that, I believe, at this time.
Ok, I just found her actual account of it online with some quotes from Nichelle about this:
Someone else who thought Star Trek was on the right track with Uhura was Dr. Martin Luther King, who persuaded Nichols to stay on the show. "I met Dr. King at a fundraiser and he told me that I was one of the most important people in his family. That they watched Star Trek and that I was a role model and their hero. And I said I said I was very proud of that and that was very nice, and then I told him that I was [considering] leaving the show, and he said abruptly - 'You can not! You absolutely must not. Do you know that you have the first non-stereotypical role on television? You're a first. This is not a female role. This is not a black role. This is a quality role, and this is an equal role, and it is in a command position. You have to carry on, because not only do little black children and do women see you and aspire and do you have meaning for them, but everyone else sees us for the first time the way we are supposed to be - on an equal basis, and on a level of dignity and authority and with the highest of qualifications.'"

She also told Gene about what Dr. King had said, and he was very touched.
There are so many stories like this from the Star Trek Convention. I was also very excited about William Shatner's project about Grief and Laughter, and Leonard Nimoy's art photography project showing the beauty of large, full-bodied women. And Kate Mulgrew, who was Captain Janeway, was a very strong speaker. And there was so much fun and humor too. I will probably write more soon. Hope you enjoy the photos.

6 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Blogger Cathy with a C said...

I am a huge Star Trek fan as well - had quite the crush on William Shatner in those early days. And there was quite a bit of symbolism in the shows as you point out.

Consider yourself tagged - 8 random facts about yourself and then tag 8 other bloggers.

Cathy xox

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Oh Cathy, You tagged me? I am going to have to stretch my brain to find 8 bloggers who have not already been tagged, as there are so few I know outside of our original "intheattic" group!

But I"m game. So here are 8 random facts about this girl:

* I can play the lap dulcimer!

* Tomorrow I embark upon my very first "eating plan" ever. I'm not going to call it a diet...but wish me luck. I'm doing it through my gym, Butterfly Life.

* I can't stomach melon of any kind, or tomato juice, because at the girls' summer camp my sister and I were sent to every June, they force-fed us those two items!

* I used to be deathly afraid of snakes, but I seem to have conquered it in the past year.

* I am still afraid of being in an enclosed car wash.

* I keep a dream journal and have for decades.

* I'm related to Rebecca Nourse of Salem fame and Aaron Burr, also Bob Mould.

* When I was a little girl, I very much wanted a pet (descented) skunk!

* It took me three colleges before I finally got my bachelor's degree!

* I can make friends with almost anyone. Years ago, a cute guy chatted me up in the airport at our gate, waiting for a flight to SFO. I found out months later that it was Andrew Cunanan, who embarked on a killing spree about a month after I met him. How weird is that! So yes, I can get along with even...a future serial killer. (Not sure this is a good trait to have)...

I will now think of 8 bloggers to tag, though I apologize of some have already been tagged.

Mme. Scrapblog Editor (you know who you are!)
Lauralei
Ken G
Marietta
Claire Eliza
Rene (if she's still blogging!)
CAB (do you have a blog?!)
and
joeboy

That was hard!

Cathy, you're a rascal.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Claire Eliza said...

These pictures are very cool, I'm happy you had a chance to meet everyone! My dad loves Star Trek. I've never watched it!

Great news about A.J., just read it. That sounds incredible!

Hope you're doing fine!
xx

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Claire,

Please show your dad my Star Trek photos! Tell him that it was the coolest gathering of people imaginable. The Star Trek fans (some like to be called Trekkies, some Trekkers) are not the obsessed fans you might imagine. They are smart, fun, creative, and come in all shapes and sizes and colors and from everywhere in the world.

We had a blast!

Bri

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger grace said...

those pictures are fantastic Brina. I am a star Trek fan.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger grace said...

oh, and I enjoyed reading your 8's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home