Sunday, April 09, 2006


















I've been dumped.

It's especially hard because it was a long-distance relationship, and he broke up with me in an e-mail. The curse of our modern age.

We went so well together, when we were in the same room. We had problems keeping it uncomplicated when we were apart. I've known and loved him for nearly my whole life, but never had a chance to really be a couple until now. We had some amazingly good times together, and now he wants to break it off completely. I have no choice but to agree. If one person doesn't want to be in it, there is no relationship to save.

I remember taking this photo, the last night we spent together in California in February. Just as I was all packed and getting ready to check out for my drive to the airport, I looked at the closet and thought of how well our coats fit together, the leather, his so worn and mine still new, just hanging there together, not quite touching, but so close together, like us...and it just seemed so sort of fitting to take a photo.

Hmm. It's the last photo of us together, and we're not even in it! But now I'm so glad I took it.

2 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger grace said...

Hi Brina, sorry. All this technology out there is really great, and there are so many things that can be done, like this, and e-mails, lots that I do not know or understand! but unfortunately I think the world may becoming quite impersonal. And I'm sorry you had to receive your news through an e-mail. Seems it bit cowardly to do it that way, you deserve more respect than that. You may not be physically in the picture, but the jackets together conjur up an image that you can remember. After my parents passed away I realized I did not have that many photos, so that is why the past few years I took so many of my dog, to have any lasting memories, like that picture you took of the jackets. x Grace

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Grace,

You're right, the image is meaningful.

I do have photos of us together, some are posted back in January's bunch of posts from my wonderful New Year's visit to Monterey.

I'm doing a bit better, but still feel like I got the wind knocked out of me.

So many of those cliches are true, because you feel the pain physically: getting the wind kicked out of you, a broken heart, kicked in the gut, it's all so visceral as well as emotional. Even "I've been dumped," well, it does feel like you've been knocked down.

Thanks for writing, dear!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home