Friday, February 10, 2006

My old boyfriend Wayne

Now you are all going to get a giggle out of this one. One of my old boyfriends seems to be in a big pickle, and when I heard about it on the radio, I realized I would have to 'fess up and tell you all the real story about me and Wayne Gretzky.

Ok. So, many many years ago when I was in my twenties and not yet married to H (my now-ex-husband), I was at a party with him and some of his college friends. There was a hockey game on tv, and Wayne Gretzky was skating. I'd always had a crush on Wayne (those eyes, that body, mmm!), and I just goofed on everyone and said aloud, "Oh! I used to date Wayne Gretzky!" Somehow this story was accepted, and it laid the foundation for a decades-long lie...because you see, I never did go out with Wayne Gretzky. (I bet you had that figured out already, huh?)

But ever after that party, every time Wayne was on tv or in the news, either H. or I would mention that I dated him years ago. Our friends would even mention it. I think they knew it was a fib, but they liked it. And then we had our son, A.J., and wouldn't you know, A.J. grew up thinking his mom had dated Wayne Gretzky! It's all so silly.

And the more you tell a lie, the more real it becomes, until now? I honestly feel a little bit like I did date Wayne Gretzky, many moons ago.

And now my old boyfriend Wayne is in trouble, because his wife and maybe the man himself got involved with illegal sports bets. Ahem. Wayne! How could you?

I thought he was a golden boy, untouched by corruption. I'm very disappointed.

What lies have you told that have taken on a life of their own? This is one of my best, and silliest. I'm not a good liar and have very little practice at it. In fact, I'm horrible at it.

3 Comments:

At 5:33 PM, Blogger PTfan said...

That is such a hilarious story Brina!

I'm pretty shocked by the news about your boyfriend too!

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Bri said...

Yes, he's been a bad boy, it seems. I wonder about the ethics the most, but secondly, about the marriage, and then the financial situation: was it greed on her part? or was she in financial trouble?

He has always seemed like a very ethical guy. This is pretty shocking!

Now can you 'fess up to some lie you told? even in jest, like this one?

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Anne-Marie said...

I don't think it's much of a scandal, in relative terms. I still think your ex is a great guy with a lot of class.

I'm not much of a liar, more of an exaggerator. Not Irish in the least, but I do love to spin a great tale. So the story is true, but the details are sometimes weaved over to make it more entertaining. Add to that a terrible memory for what really happened, and anything usually does.

-AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home