Saturday, September 10, 2005

Looking ahead,
I'm excited about getting to hear Bruce (that would be Springsteen, of course) on the 12th of October in a solo acoustic show here. I am famously lucky at ticket purchasing. I simply went online about an hour after the tickets went on sale today, plugged in the numbers, and came up with two good seats. Of course, it's expensive, but that's ok. He rarely plays these kinds of shows, and it's going to be a special concert, I am sure of it.

My first time seeing Bruce live was back when I was at Eastman. Bruce and the E Street Band played the Rochester Auditorium right around the corner from our dorm. I remember distinctly that I went to the little box office there that same day and purchased the last two tickets available, and then I spent the rest of the day trying to find someone who would go with me. I was surrounded by these amazingly talented classical and jazz musicians, and nobody had heard of Springsteen?! Egads!

Finally I asked my violinist Bob Sender (who was kind of a boyfriend) if he'd like to go. Bob was from Philly and he was pretty crazy about me. I believe he would have gone anywhere I'd suggested. So we went to the show. Our seats were in the back row, but it was such an intimate space that it felt like we were onstage with the band. At one point, Bruce hopped off the stage and ran up the center aisle, coming all the way to our row and singing right at us! The energy was visible. I've never forgotten that night!

Since then, I've seen Bruce only one other time, on "The Rising" tour after September 11th, and that was astonishing.

I'm excited. Another Bruce experience!

I'm also quite the Patti Scialfa fan and wish more people knew her work. She is a good songwriter, you have to believe me. (Of course, I say the same thing about Yoko, and friends laugh me out of the room, so maybe you need to take my opinion with a grain of salt! I do love Yoko.)

1 Comments:

At 6:38 AM, Blogger Bri said...

Hi Dan, I see you have Iggy and Lou Reed on your favorite music list. Did you hear Iggy interviewed on public radio recently? It was a great interview.

The December when John Lennon was killed, I wrote a letter to Yoko and Sean to express my condolences. It seemed like something I could do. Would you believe that I received a reply a while later? And ever since that time, I have sent Yoko and Sean a Christmas card, and Sean a birthday card during his growing-up years, and I usually received one in reply.

It's been a few years now since I received an actual Christmas note, but I did hear from Yoko a year and a half ago. Also, she used to send little gifts with some of her Christmas notes. One year it was the CD single of "Snow Is Falling". I treasure it.

She always has an artwork and a poem or a few lines of a poem for her Christmas note.
I think she's a warm and special soul, completely misunderstood by most people, and very talented in her own way.

Do you know that song? "Silver Horse"? I love it. Someone said it was about heroin. I don't see that. It's about a dream, and about life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home