Wednesday, January 31, 2007



























































My happy afternoon at the Oakland Zoo. I was like a little girl, and as I was with my favorite man in the world, it was a heavenly day. We stayed until they were closing down the zoo for the day. These are some of the outdoor animals we especially enjoyed.

Many of our favorites were indoors, and I didn't photograph them for fear of the flash bothering them. I loved the red-tailed boa constrictor, large tortoises whose name I am forgetting now, alligator who was so still as to be confused with a statue, river otters, brightly colored poisonous frogs (mating!), walking sticks and praying mantis, diving beetles, and these beautiful giraffes and elephants. One giraffe delighted in running. She completely captivated us. We also saw some of the courtship/bonding ritual of the male and female adult giraffe. Wow! is all I can say.

Very few people were at the zoo, and those who were seemed completely happy, just like us. A day that should never end, and one of my last vacation days before school begins again.

Happy.

4 Comments:

At 8:50 PM, Blogger grace said...

I love the Zoo, any Zoo. It is wonderful to be with the animals. I often want to set them all free though, but I hope that they are all treated well. Is that you with the geico lizard?!!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Bri said...

That is me, yes, only he's a frog, I think?

The Oakland Zoo has made lots of improvements in recent years and it's really a very good zoo now. I'm kind of critical of zoos, but this is a good one!

We almost had the place to ourselves, and after closing time we were the last two people visiting with the elephants. We kind of thought we'd stay around until we were kicked out, which is what happened.

I have a hair story for you, but will save it....hope you are well, Grace.

Hugs, Brina

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger grace said...

all is well, look forward to your hair story.

xx

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger Cathy with a C said...

If I'm going to be in a new city for a length of time, I try to go to the zoo or the aquarium.

Glad you had a good time.

Cathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home